Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Pigskin and Pork Belly

Had I planned my life to coordinate with blog titles, I should have served potato skins at our Super Bowl party, but I'm just not that organized so a pig theme will have to do. The pigskin, of course, was Sunday's Super Bowl. Most of you probably know that I'm a huge college football fan--pro football, not so much. In fact, I don't actually care about or follow the NFL at all. The only reason I knew one of the teams that was playing in the big game ahead of time was because my cousin's poor cat was wearing a football jersey and I had to assume it was related to the approaching game since she is a much better NFL fan than I am. In any case, my interest in the Super Bowl is purely social, and this year I was so excited that the Boyfriend and I could finally have our own party.

The invitee list was short--I was worried about seating and where people would congregate. I'm not much of a winter entertainer and would much prefer to barbecue and let people wander in and out of the house, sitting in collapsible chairs with built-in drink holders. But everything worked out just fine. I thought some people would head upstairs to our comfier-by-the-day bonus room, but I should have known better. People always congregate in one place and that's usually the kitchen, which is as it should be. Norah ran around the house entertaining the dogs and the adults and proved to be much funnier than most of the commercials. Apollo couldn't quite figure out why her bed kept moving and why she was sharing it with a doll that she wasn't allowed to eat the stuffing out of, but she managed.

Which brings me to the pork bellies--well bacon, actually. Prompted by special requests--demands, really--Erik brought his wonderful steak and bacon bites. Despite my usual aversion to meat on meat, I and everyone else I know love these scrumptious little treats. They couldn't be more simple, but the quality of the two components and the easy toothpick plate-to-mouth delivery method are part of the allure. The tender piece of steak topped with melt-in-your-mouth sweet and spicy bacon are to die for. For better or worse, Erik has guaranteed his spot on every guest list at our place--contingent on bringing the steak and bacon bites of course.
So between the good friends and the good food, I didn't see much of the game at all. In fact, I didn't really even see any commercials. It's probably all for the best. CNN reported that women were upset at the sexist ads and men came off looking immature and idiotic. Come on people--they're selling beer and pizza. What did you really expect? You probably shouldn't have been looking for enlightenment and understanding while watching the Super Bowl. In any case, we had a great time hanging out with friends and I was so happy to have a place where we can share and enjoy time together, even in the winter. On a related note, Super Bowl marks the end of football season--another sure indicator that spring is on its way and barbecues are in our future. Thank goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment